As you’ll see, the smart thing to do is immediately contact a DUI or Defense Attorney for help.
What NOT to do:
- You have a right to remain silent. Anything else you say or do helps them gather more evidence against you. Respond that you’ll answer questions when you have an attorney present.
- Field sobriety test: If you’re stopped on the road; you have a right to refuse. These tests may result in evidence being used against you regardless of imprisonment.
- Don’t provide anything other than license, registration or proof of insurance.
- Don’t put anything in writing, or sign anything put in front of you.
- Don’t talk to anyone else about the situation, including your friends. They could be forced to recount any conversations later as a witness. Only speak with your attorney.
- Don’t become argumentative, rude or snarky, even if you think the officer is being unfair. Always acts courteously and professionally to any LEO.
- Don’t try to claim innocence, make excuses, blame others, or try to talk your way out of it. And for heaven’s sake, don’t threaten the officer with repercussions. Any of these things will only make your situation worse.
- Don’t act out, become physically expressive, or physically resist an officer. This is always a bad idea and likely criminal.
Immediately invoke your right to an attorney.
What you SHOULD do:
- Do take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Yes, this is scary and extremely upsetting, but it’s important to keep your emotions in check.
- Do contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible if you’ve been arrested. If you don’t know a lawyer near you, have a friend or family member find one for you. If you can’t afford a defense attorney, the court may provide a public defender to represent you.
- Do be open, honest and thorough when explaining the story to your DUI defense lawyer, so they can better help you. They are obligated to keep your conversations confidential. To help them defend your character, let your lawyer know if you are a provider for your family, or in what ways you’re an asset to the community.
- Do arrive on time for any scheduled court appearance, be respectful, and dress properly.
Need expert legal help after being arrested for drugs or DUI?